Some solid progress was made last week. It feels good to actually have some time to work on my own stuff since college is over now. Let’s get into it.
Alright, the game is still very new. I’m still getting new ideas and throwing new ideas out every day. (I have at least a dozen little post-it-type notes on the side of my desk here, all filled with ideas and thoughts I’ve had.)
This past week was primarily spent two ways (regarding this game):
- Drawing game art
- Getting the hang of recording for Youtube.
I also did a little programming (which I’ll link to at the bottom of this post) but I didn’t spend a lot of time with it.
But yeah, Youtube, I’d really like to start uploading videos every week of me just working on the game. Right now it’s easy, it’s all graphics. Later on I don’t know what I’m going to do when 90% of what I do is just programming. Maybe I’ll release weekly videos of what the current build of the game looks like or something, we’ll see.
- Finally got some nice-looking drawings of the 5 main enemy ships completed.
- A working build of the game was successfully completed (user is able to control the player).
- Design the player and multiple other minion-type enemies.
- Begin nailing down some of the gameplay ideas/mechanics on paper.
- Give the player the ability to shoot.
Alrighty. So that’s that. Now let’s get into some stuff that some of you might actually care about.
I kinda want an orange enemy, but eh.
Firstly, if you didn’t see my previous post, I have released a video on Youtube showing me going through the design process while I attempt to create the red enemy. I’ve since released a second video showing me drawing both the yellow enemy and a minion-type enemy. Go check them out and tell me what you think.
Next up, I’m just going to let you play with what I have to far of the game. Now don’t get your hopes up, it’s pretty bland. (No, seriously, it’s as bland as it can possibly be.)
After I completed build 1, I realized I was doing something very wrong. I was programming the player’s ship as if it were a car and not a free-floating space object.
For whatever reason, it took me an embarrassing amount of time to go from Build 1 to Build 2, I just couldn’t wrap my head around the math that was required to get the player to be able to freely spin around while going in the same direction. (You’ll see what I’m talking about when you look at the two builds.) It’s still not 100% right (well, it works like I want, just the code isn’t optimal).
Alright, I think I’m done here.
There might be no “Weekly Game Update” post next Sunday, just throwing that out there for the two of you that read this. LOL!