Oh crap, I’m late. About 12 hours late. I hope you didn’t wait here all day for this post.
Before we begin, I’d just like someone to tell me where the hell Paul D’Amora is. I know he didn’t get a life or anything, so I’m just wondering, thanks.
Alright let’s get into it.
Lot’s of game work this week. I think I found a pretty good groove where I wake up, go through my morning routine, make a mean cup of coffee, and get to work. Sprinkle in a few Bad Company 2 game breaks and some pool time and you have a recipe for success!
In Don’t Panic news, I’m waiting for some very slow sponsors to get back to me regarding sitelocks/payment before I can write up the post mortem on that game. Hopefully that’ll happen this week.
I’m going to go out on a limb here and say Defective will be released on October 20th.
I’m not even joking. Here’s my thought process:
- Okay, I still have a good amount of work ahead of me, so factor in at least a month of work.
- Sponsorship – gotta wait for bids to come in. Figure four to six weeks.
- That brings us to late September/early October.
I’ve factored in my suckiness at keeping my promise when it comes to release dates.
I said I’d have a video, and I do! It’s the reason this post is so late. I spent a majority of today and yesterday getting the AI working, and I think I done did good. In fact, maybe too good. The AI currently kicks my ass so I’m going to have to figure out how to best dial down the difficulty.
- Finished programming the two turret types.
- Added three different block types that each act / react to bullets differently.
- Added tons of sound effects (courtesy of as3sfxr).
- Finished the “enemy spawner” objects which intelligently spawn enemies when in range of the player + with regard to the number of current enemies on the stage.
- Added and programmed the four minion types and two of the main enemy types.
- Added upgrades the player can find throughout the level (acceleration+, bullet damage+, etc…).
- Added health/shield pickups that the minion’s can drop after they are killed.
- Added HUD functionality to show when an upgrade / achievement has been obtained or when the game is saving.
- Miscellaneous tweaks and fixes.
- Tweak AI and program the remaining 3 enemy types.
- Add the main menu / level select screens.
- Get a working level going (with a goal to reach).
And that’s it for this week’s Weekly Game Update, ladies and gentlemen.
I’ve had a long and frustrating weekend, so excuse me while I go relax with some Dragon Ball Z Kai.
Jealous? Yeah, you are.