I know I said I wanted to get some video of gameplay this week, but I’m going to hold off on that until I program the enemy’s AI. Otherwise it’d just be a video of the character flying around. Okay? Okay.
This is the first week I didn’t have to split my work time between Don’t Panic (sitelocks) and Defective. That means I was able to get a load of stuff done. The only real stuff left to do is to develop the 11 different enemy types and their AI, which sounds worse than it really is.
Speaking of Don’t Panic by the way, I’m beyond happy to say that it just recently received over 20,000 plays on Kongregate (and a rating of 3.63, which is really great for that site). I really wish Kongregate had gotten back to me regarding purchasing a sitelock, I’m sure they would’ve benefited from the game’s success big time. I would have to, since I would’ve been earning a higher revenue share + would’ve added badges + would’ve been eligible for the weekly/monthly game contests. Too bad.
Anyway, let’s move on.
Yeah, that’s right, I moved the “pictures” section to the top. Got beef?
- The level is now created via XML with the Tiled Map Editor. This includes the size/design of the levels as well as the location/properties of game objects.
- Added explosive blocks that detonate on collision with characters / “prime” themselves on collision with bullets.
- Added “bullet walls” – these walls stop bullets from going through them.
- Optimized the particle system using object pooling. (Side note – the game runs at a smooth 40fps no matter what I throw at it. I’d love to be able to run it full screen, but the fps drops to 34ish when I do. It has to do with the massive bitmaps which hold the blitted tiles. I’m using scrollRect, so I don’t know what else to do about it. Oh well.)
- Added some temporary sounds, just to get a feel for how it will be in the finished game.
- Designed two different types of stationary enemy turrets.
- Designed some more tiles / background elements.
- Objects are deactivated when outside of the camera’s view.
- Basic foundation of “enemy spawner” objects laid out.
- Miscellaneous tweaks and fixes.
- Finish programming the enemy turret functionality.
- Add a new block type which only stops player bullets (not enemy’s).
- Program at least basic enemy AI and get every enemy type into the game.
- Finish the “enemy spawner” object.
And that’s about it. The game is really coming along fast. I definitely have the motivation needed to keep pushing forward and I’m going to try my best to get this game out as soon as possible. I’m tired of taking 4+ months to finish a game. Though, I may have an excuse for this game being that I was a little busy in May/June, but, still.
Okay bye, gonna go eat pancakes now. Happy Sunday!