So I figured I would make a post about this, since I thought it was pretty interesting. Here is an image showing the sprite development I went through trying to find a nice design for the player/boss sprites for Hero Dude.
The first two versions of the main character differ pretty greatly. At first I was thinking I’d just toss the main character into this Mega Man-style suit of armor lookin’ thing. Since I was going for a humorous take on the game, I figured it didn’t matter how silly he looked or how many times I stamped his “HD” (Hero Dude) logo on him.
The second and third versions of the main character have more of a resemblance between them. It looks like I started getting the mindset that he was going to be some sort of a soldier or something. This becomes more apparent in the third version.
The boss didn’t undergo much of a change. I always knew he was going to be a cliche mad scientist trying to destroy the world or something (lol spoilers). He kept his white labcoat and gray hair through both versions, I only made him fatter and got rid of his huge hair stacks. (This was done to preserve the shape of his head/body, which I want to be uniform throughout the game.)
And yeah, that’s about it. Today I’ll be getting back to work on Hero Dude. Mainly working on some gun action today. I want to start drawing ideas for levels and whatnot. I already know that 95% of the game takes place on the Boss’s flying ship-fort thing. The other 5% is the player getting to the flying ship-fort thing.
(Trust me, this all makes sense in my head.)