This week I didn’t get too much done other than some relatively minor tweaks and optimizations to the collision detection. On Saturday, I spent the majority of the day figuring out the best way to construct levels using a mix between the Flash IDE and Tiled Map Editor. As a result, I began drawing some art for the game (which will be re-drawn for the actual game, everything here is just a placeholder to help me get an idea of what levels will look like).
Check out what I have so far here. To move, use the left / right arrow keys, space to jump, shift to run, and push against a wall to slide down / wall jump. These controls will be remapped for the actual game, as I’ve worked in mouse control so I’m going to have to abandon the arrow keys for a WASD-based control scheme.
Today I intend on implementing the Starling API, which is a 2D API built on top of the Stage3D API introduced in Flash Player 11. If you didn’t know, Stage3D is a new feature in Flash Player will allows for programmers to harness the power of the GPU and create more stunning visuals with little to no impact on the CPU. (This means be on the look out for some really amazing 3D Flash games in the coming months.)
I generally dislike working with APIs for two main reasons. One, I like to know what things are doing and why they’re doing it, and there’s no better way to know this than actually coding the classes yourself. The second reason is because of the possibility for lots of unnecessary overhead and lack of optimization (again, I pretty much don’t trust anyone to do anything right, except for me – sometimes). Since Starling was actually developed by the same team that actually work on Flash Player, I’m very comfortable with using it.
Alright, that’s it for now. I’m seriously going to try to get more posts out than these minor once-a-week things. It’s easy to say that now, on a weekend, but once the week begins it’s a different story…
Okay go away now.