Well, not so much of an extravaganza as it is just a regular post, but you get the idea.
Before I get into some development news and updates, let’s go over some stats:
- This site is over 2 years old. Time really flies sometimes. I remember when I bought this domain off a whim after I sold ForTheLose.org (now dead, sadly).
- This is the 100th post. Figuring that the site has been live for roughly 790 days (since the first post), I have a post-per-day ratio of 0.12. (LO!L!)
- As of this writing, there have been 566 comments, averaging 5.7 comments per post.
- 12,859 – the amount of spam comments blocked.
- 4 – the number of games released (not counting Defective, Trophiends, and the current work-in-progress untitled platformer, obviously).
- 105,947 – the number of views.
- 100 – the average number of views per day.
Pretty cool stuff, right? Right.
Alright, anyway, as for what I’ve been doing the past week or two. Well, college started back up the other week. As a result, I’ve really just been getting myself situated with my new schedule. Any free time has been devoted to not doing anything related to game work. It sucks, and I’ll be snapping out of it as time goes by.
However, that doesn’t mean I’m not doing anything. In some rare occasions, I open up FlashDevelop and continue work on the basic core of the game – collision detection.
For this platformer, I will be mainly utilizing the separating axis theorem, something I’ve always wanted to implement myself for quite a while now.
Well, as of tonight (it’s night right now) I can happily say I have it pretty much nailed down, check it out here.
Through some sprites over them polygons and you got yourself an award-winning game right there.
Well, not exactly, but still.
Anyway, I just want to give a shout out to some great articles and explanations on the web that really helped me get this SAT thing nailed down.
- 2D Polygon Collision
- Separation of Axis Theorem for Collision Detection
- Collision Detection and Response
Definitely wouldn’t have been able to make it this far without those three pages. Great stuff.
Anyway, that’s it for now. It’s 11PM – Battlefield 3 time.